Some say there’s a fine line between confidence and cockiness, I would tend to agree with this. A lot of what confidence is about is simply the way you hold yourself, your attitude and knowing your self-worth. Cockiness however is over inflating yourself to look like someone you really are not. There are some easy ways to build confidence and one of the easiest ways starts with the clothes you wear. If you dress with pride, you’ll come across as more confident to others.
So often guys simply say they want to wear something that’s comfortable. There’s nothing wrong with this, but being comfortable does not mean you have to look like you just rolled out of bed. A little bit of attention to detail and pride in what you’re wearing can go a long way. Here are five simple tips for guys that can make a huge difference:
- Learn how to iron. Living in Hawaii Aloha Shirts are the norm and dress shirts are starting to become everyday work wear as well. These shirts should be ironed to look their best. A five minute run over with an iron can take you from looking sloppy, to sharp and put together. If you don’t know how to iron, there are several good tutorials on YouTube. Or ask your mother or grandmother, they would probably be happy to show you. Extra points if you invest in spray starch.
- Food has an expiration date, even soda has an expiration date. Your clothes should also have an expiration date. Go through your closet and dresser at least once a year. Anything that you haven’t worn in over a year should probably be given away. Also, that t-shirt with the holes and mustard stain has to go too.
- A neat trend that has emerged recently is bringing back the dress sock. A lot of celebrities and especially sportscasters can be seen showing off some impressive sock game. It’s all about the little touches and socks are a nice way to show off a little bit of style and class without breaking the bank. Too often local guys will wear athletic socks with slacks, this is a big no-no. There’s a reason they’re called gym socks, they’re for the gym. If you wear slacks you should also have dress socks. Nordstrom’s Rack and Macy’s both have a nice selection at affordable prices.
- You’ve got the ironed shirt, the dress slacks and even some nice socks. Finish it off with two classics, a nice pair of shoes and matching belt. Let’s face it, guys are lucky. At minimum you really only need two pairs of dress shoes. One black and one brown. This means you need two belts. One black and one brown, then match them to the shoes you’re wearing. It’s simple, clean looking and classy.
- Probably the most important thing though is simply finding a look that is right for you. Buy clothes that match your body type and in colors that you think you look good in. They should fit well and not constrict or hang off of you. You don’t want to look like a stuffed sausage or a little kid wearing his dad’s shirt. And once you do find a look that works, then stick to it. Guys are lucky in the sense that we don’t have to be all that creative with what we wear, find a look that works and go with it.
Your style is exactly what it is, yours. By keeping things simple and buying clothes that match your personality and body type you can go out there and feel confident in what you’re wearing. And if you feel confident, you’ll look confident and others will notice that too. Dress to impress, dress with pride and dress for you.